Sunday, November 11, 2007

Morning in South Africa

I awakened this morning to the sound of thunder. The curtains were drawn and the room was black. I had stayed up past midnight watching a Keanu Reeves movie - one of the many American films playing in my hotel. I was happy to have a few choices because the last time I stayed in Johannesburg, the hotel only had international CNN and they repeated the same 7 stories every 15 minutes.


The thunder boomed again and I rolled over and looked at one of my two blackberry's - the one I have set to J'burg time. 6:30 Sunday morning. Because it was too early to do the math, I glanced at my second Blackberry - Los Angeles time. 9:30 Saturday night. Which meant it was 12:30 in the morning Detroit time. Too late or too early - whichever way I'd like to look at it - to call Mom.


A couple more hours of sleep - rain makes that so wonderful.


I awoke again to the sound of clinking. After staying here a few days, I knew the sound well. I jumped out of bed, slipped on my sweat suit (the soft one that makes long flights a little more comfy) and stepped outside my room that is locate right across the hall from the lounge that serves breakfast for guests on that floor. Three people were already there eating, sipping coffee - clinking, and typing away on their laptop computers. The wall of windows brought in the sunlight - the clouds long since vanished. I stepped to the edge and took in the spectular view. Hills and hills of gorgeous jacaranda trees peppered throughout the greenery.


This is South Africa.


I laugh when I catch sight of a Woolworth's across the street. I had to come tens of thousands of miles to see one of those. Dorica, a South African, asked me if I wanted some tea. I chose 'African Amber' (because I'm in Africa, of course) which is 'rooibos' tea made from an African herb. It has a deep, rich flavor and the color is like of dark eggplant. Perfect to go with the breakfast of blueberry and poppyseed muffins, yogart, salmon with capers, ham, salami, mango, papaya, and pineapple. I also try the granadilla which is a local fruit and top my cereal off with the gooseberries.


Yes, South Africa tastes really good.

1 comment:

dc_speaks said...

hey, shaunnnnnnnnnnnnn! you're on this blog spot.

that morning sounds fantastic. it couldn't happen to a nicer um...shaun.

laters